The walls are going up! The trailer is finally starting to look like a trailer again.
On the last post (Part 3) we left off at the cabinets, which had to go in prior to the walls going up. In this post we will show Jordan’s process of building the new walls and attaching them to the trailer frame.
Jordan used the Kit’s original walls (what remained of them) and siding as a template for constructing the new walls. Because the original walls were disintegrated so badly in the corners, Jordan relied heavily on the metal exterior siding for determining the actual size and curvature for the new walls.
He was able to see the framing pattern from the original walls as well and duplicated construction, incorporating a few improvements based on his construction experience.
Originally these trailer walls were assembled using a wide crown stapler, a special tool that doesn’t have much versatility beyond trailer wall framing, some masonry and roofing applications. Instead, Jordan purchased a Kreg Pocket Hole Jig which creates neat little tunnels (called pocket holes) for the screws to go in. Wood glue was placed between framing joints prior to installing screws.
Jordan and I decided on v-groove hardboard for the interior walls (because it’s cute). These were attached to the wall framing using Elmer’s Wood Glue and a narrow crown stapler. Jordan also laid weights on the walls while the glue set.
Once each wall was complete Jordan would clamp it to the frame using wood clamps and take measurements from the original materials to determine proper placement. He would then bolt them into the frame.
Once the two side walls were up, Jordan installed the dinette cabinet (which spans the width of the trailer in the front) and then fastened the closet cabinet to the wall.
We used vinyl weather-stripping for the trim between the cabinets, walls and floor.
After installing the ceiling, it was time to rough-in the wiring (AC & DC) and plumbing.
We’ve found replacement foam and are really starting to plan the interior. But you’ll have to wait until next time to see that!
Thank you for following our 1967 Kit Companion Restoration Project. Don’t forget to post your comments below!